International Association of Gaming Advisors and Gaming Regulators European Forum Workshop: Manipulation of sports contests
The International Association of Gaming Advisors (“IAGA”) and Gaming Regulators European Forum (“GREF”) are delighted to be host a workshop on critical issues surrounding the manipulation of sports competitions at the London Marriott Hotel Canary Wharf at 4pm on Monday 5 February 2024. The workshop will present a unique opportunity to hear from international experts on sports betting integrity and gambling regulation across two sessions and an interlude.
The workshop will consist of the following sessions:
16:00 – International Olympic Committee lecture: the Prevention of the Manipulation of Competitions
The lecture will include:
- An introduction to the Olympic Movement Unit on the Prevention of the Manipulation of Competitions (“OM Unit PMC”) by Friedrich Martens (Head of the OM Unit PMC);
- A review of the betting-related provisions in the Council of Europe Convention on the Manipulation of Sport Competitions (“Macolin Convention”) by Nicolas Saydé (Head of the Macolin Secretariat, Council of Europe Sport Division); and
- A review of the Olympic Movement Rules related to betting and the OM Unit’s work with betting entities by Evangelos Alexandrakis and Aiden Young (OM Unit PMC).
16:45 – Joint comments from GREF and IAGA
Following the lecture, there will be a welcome to the workshop and introductory comments from:
- GREF Chairperson Isabelle Falque-Pierrotin (the Autorité nationale des jeux, French regulator); and
- IAGA former President and Trustee John Hagan (Managing Partner, Harris Hagan).
17:00 – Panel discussion: Working together to protect international sporting events and gambling integrity
With numerous major sporting events occurring in Europe in 2024, the roundtable will discuss a number of critical priorities for event organisers, including sports betting integrity, match-fixing, gambling advertising and sponsorship, ethics and regulatory compliance.
Moderated by John Hagan, the panel will comprise:
- Dieter Braekeveld (Integrity in Sports Training Officer at INTERPOL);
- Atle Hamar (Director General of the Norwegian Gambling and Foundation Authority);
- Friedrich Martens (Head of OM Unit PMC);
- Tim Miller (Executive Director of the British Gambling Commission); and
- Nicolas Saydé (Head of the Macolin Secretariat, Council of Europe Sport Division).
Harris Hagan is proud to continue its long association with IAGA, which includes Julian Harris and John Hagan serving as President in 2013 and 2019/2020, respectively, and Bahar Alaeddini serving as General Counsel and member of the Programme Committee. We therefore strongly recommend this workshop to readers not least for the excellent quality of the content and networking opportunities with the high-calibre speakers and panellists.
Please contact us if you would like to know more about IAGA’s work, membership and/or the workshop. We very much hope that you can join us there!